Tuesday, August 11, 2009

5 Movies

I've seen 5 movies in the last 7 days. Not quite as impressive a feat as what my good friend Pete is trying to accomplish, but Pete is a far more ambitious, and let's face it, better, man than I.

Tuesday, August 4: "Five Hundred Days of Summer"

I was super excited to see this movie, mostly because of the leads; Mr. Jo Go Lev and Zooey "the Face Crusher" Deschanel. Ever since my first viewing of Brick (which was followed by what can only be described as the most epic running through an alleyway I've ever participated in), I've been securely nestled in the Joseph Gordon-Levitt camp. He is an incredibly gifted actor and can elevate the credibilty of a movie just by being in it (more on this later). Zooey Deschanel is pretty amazing too for the obvious reasons. Anyway, the movie... yeah. It was good. I imagine a lot of reviewers use the word quirky when describing this film, they would not be wrong. Long story short, I liked this movie, but not as much as I thought I would. It made me like Zooey Deschanel less, because her character is such a... I really don't know how to describe her. She's not evil. She's just sort of mean, but not on purpose, or not really maliciously. Anyway. Good flick.

Wednesday August 5: "Knocked Up"

People kept telling me to see this movie. They said it was Judd Apatow's best movie. That it was really good. After seeing it, I've decided that I don't really like Judd Apatow much. I really like Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd, so I enjoyed the movie, but I felt it was a case of putting funny people in front of a camera and hitting record.

Thursday August 6: "Funny People"

I was not bored during this movie because, again, Seth Rogen is a funny man, but this was a bloated, long, self-indulgent film that seemed more about name-dropping and showcasing the "dramatic range" of Adam Sandler than having a particularly interesting or entertaining story.

Sunday August 9: "GI JOE"

This movie was much better than it had any right to be. It was a really decent action movie. Do not believe the trailer. It is not about robot suits. It is about Jospeh Fucking-Gordon-Fucking-Levitt (-Fucking). That's right. Jo Go Lev is in GI Joe. You know who else is? Jonathan Price (that actually used to mean something at some point I'm sure, but now having J-Price in your movie is almost like having Jon Voight in your movie, but slightly better). Anyway, this movie is all about the bad guys. Sienna Miller is totally hot the entire time. Storm Shadow is totally a bad-ass the entire time and Christopher Eccleston is totally Scottish the entire time. They kind of steal this movie away from that Stockard Channing dude (who isn't that bad, even though he is totally a dude).

Tuesday August 11: "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"

This movie is still good. I've seen it three times. I really like watching this cast work. It is just a ridiculously talented group of people, and I'm super excited to see what Bill Nighy brings to the table in the next installment (Prediction: A whole heaping helping of kicking your ass in the face).

No comments: