Friday, August 15, 2008

Better than Wall-E.

That's my review of Clone Wars, which is not a bad movie at all. Wall-E on the other hand... don't get me started on that piece of excrement (I have never, nor will I ever see Wall-E). Clone Wars wasn't perfect, the dialogue wasn't great, but the action was good and the plot wasn't terrible. Anakin is a completely different character than he is in either of the movies, which is ok with me, because I'll sacrifice continuity for not having a terrible, terrible performance any day of the week. My biggest problem with the movie was the overabundance with nicknames. I noticed that nicknames are a device used by writers to demonstrate characters familiarity with one another. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't work in Clone Wars. The little girl jedi appears onscreen and within 2 minutes she's already assigning people nicknames. Bad, unoriginal nicknames (Anakin, her Jedi master, whom she is supposed to obey implicitly and respect totally, becomes "Sky Guy").

On the plus side there are some actually funny moments in the movie, not a lot, but I did laugh out loud a couple of times. Also on the plus side is a character named Ziro the Hutt. I don't really want to say too much about him, but he's pretty awesome. Here's how I imagine the genesis of his character came about:

Clone Wars Writer1: I bet you can't make a character gayer then C-3PO.
Clone Wars Writer 2: Watch me.

Anyway... it's a decent film and it gives me hope that the TV show will be tolerable... they should let me write it.


In other news: There is no other news. All I do is sleep, eat and work. I'm going to do one of those things right now (hint: it's something I do with my eyes closed and not while I'm awake).

No comments: