Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day

I've been watching the Jerry Lewis MDA telethon thing. It's pretty sad. Sad for a lot of reasons. Muscular Dystrophy is a pretty bad thing. It's unforunate that people have to live with it. My mom's friend Gina has MD. Some kind of MD, I'm not sure what kind. It's sad to see Jerry Lewis try to be funny. He's not. He just makes these ridiculous faces. It's unpleasant. He had Tony Orlando on. Tony Orlando sang some incredibly sappy "America + God+ MD+ New Orleans" song. It was the worst kind of pandering. It was all and all a pretty unsavory display. How long have they been doing this telethon? Is MD curable? Is it preventable? What kind of progress is being made?

To counteract the negative effects of the MDA telethon I watched the delightful David Mamet comedy, State and Main. I enjoy this movie. It's got Phillip Seymour Hoffman and William H. Macy in it. These guys are pretty substantial talents, and if you're making a movie, I recommend putting one or both of them in it.

No comments: