Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Ending another post with again, again.

It's 1:25 in the morning and Albus Dumbledore is still dead.

I finished book 6 a few minutes ago and here are some things I noticed:

Book six IS mostly fluff. There isn't a lot happening. It's a book about treading water. So all you bitches who is like "The movie skips all the cool parts of book 6," need to shut the s up. They hit all the high points of the book (and hit them with more skill and subtlety than the book does), and then some. Ok, the Death Eaters fighting the Order as they run out of Hogwarts would've been pretty cool to see, but we got a lot of that in the last movie, and we're going to get a lot of that in the next two movies, so if David Yates wants to have a movie end without a big wizard throwdown, than I'll allow it.

The thing that struck me the most while reading this, is how much I like Dumbledore as a character. He is a little too lenient with Harry, but he does hush him up occasionally, and anyone who puts a hush on Harry Potter is ok in my book (that book being "Harry Potter Needs to Shut his Fucking Mouth: The Sass-Enders). Dumbledore is a great character with so much depth and nuance. I was sort of sad when he died again. I don't like his line about feeling safe around Harry Potter, who is, let's face it, a pretty horrible Wizard. I think the end of the book seems a little rushed, but really the whole book is fairly quick; about halfway through the book they're in March. The funeral lasts about 4 pages, and is fairly lame and even though it would be entirely appropriate to mention it, no one mentions that Dumbledore's brother is the owner of the Hogs Head (the two things that bother me most about the Harry Potter Books are the fact that Albus Dumbledore, the greatest wizard of the whatever whatever has a little brother that runs a bar next to the school that Albus is headmaster of, and no one mentions this until book 7, and the fact that Harry has no grandparents. This lack of grandparents thing might seem trivial and nitpicky, but when you do the math on how old everyone was when Harry's parents croaked, something doesn't add up. I'll probably do this math again when I reread book 7 and share it with you then, I'm sure you can't wait).

I'm really not looking forward to reading Book 7. Mostly because I remember it being a terribly unsatisfying book, but also because it means saying goodbye to this world, as poorly written as it sometimes is, all over again. I still don't know why I love these books so much. I think the English Boarding school aspect might have something to do with it. I could take or leave the magic, as it seems sort of trivial and inconsistent, as well as not really that important to the plot. Anyway, I'll let you know when I finish book 7.

No comments: