Saturday, July 04, 2009

Watching Firefly Again

Joss Whedon makes me angry. I don't know when this started, but for some reason whenever I watch/read something that Joss Whedon wrote, I'm just irritated beyond words. I think my problem is, and I'm just guessing, is that it seems like he writes scenes that look cool or are funny, but don't really make a lot of sense in the context of the reality of the show. For example, in the first episode of Firefly, there's a scene where The Prostitute is giving herself a sponge bath, which is sort of hot, I guess, then Shepherd Book knocks on her door, and though still half naked, The Prostitute tells whoever is knocking on the door to come on in. Why would she do this? Because it's cool to have half naked women in your TV show and it's funny and awkward to have religious figures exposed to half naked women. Of course this doesn't really make sense from a character standpoint, but it makes sense from a "I want people to think this show is awesome" standpoint. He does this kind of thing constantly. The entire episode of Jaynestown is like this. Also, he thinks he can write good music, but he can't, at least not in the context of the songs in Firefly.

Also, happy Fourth of July. Make sure you looks at some fireworks or Uncle Same won't come to your house at midnight and leave you some freedom in your favorite pair of pants.

No comments: