Saturday, May 22, 2010

The End of the Season

Thursday night was the end of an era, that era being the 2009-2010 television season. Although there are other shows with new episodes left this season, since I only watch TV on Thursday nights and only watch four shows on that night, this was the last night of the season for me.

Thursdays on NBC have been the most consistent two hours of programming I've ever had the pleasure to enjoy. The Community/Parks and Rec/The Office/30 Rock comedy powerhouse has been a joy to behold since September.

This season saw the beginning of Community, a show I really enjoy and hopefully will continue to enjoy for seasons to come (but realize it will probably hit a slump about halfway through next season, kind of like it did this season). The paintball episode is one of the finest half hours of television I've ever seen.



Parks and Rec went from being a show I kind of hated for being a lazy rehash of The Office, from the people who made The Office, to being a show I genuinely like more than I like the Office, which I do like, deep down inside, if only because I hate it so much.

The Office didn't entirely suck this season. In fact, I liked a lot of the episodes. This season also featured two of the worst episodes in The Office history; the wedding episode and the episode where Pam and Jim have a baby. Are people over The Office? Do people still like it? I think I might have started liking it again, which due to my anitpopulist nature, probably means it's becoming unpopular. Next season seriously needs to be the last season.

And finally 30 Rock. Oh 30 Rock, what can I say? 30 Rock was once the next Arrested Development. It's first season is probably the second best first season of any television show I've seen ("Tracy Does Conan" being in my top five best episodes of a television ever), then the writers strike happened and there was that epsiode that ended with the musical number. The beginning of the third season was pretty weak, but the back half brought it hard and salvaged a lackluster year. The then the fourth season happened. 30 Rock stopped being a show about people making a TV show. It became a show about a ruthless executive, his lovable protege and their pet, an annoying toeheaded creepster named Kenneth. It lost its grounding as an ensemble show with two bright stars, and around that time the jokes just started falling flat. There are still some good episodes in the fourth season, but compared to it's peak, 30 Rock was pound for pound the weakest link on the Thursday night chain of comedy awesomeness (which is what NBC should start calling their Thursday night lineup. It's much catchier than Must See TV).

No comments: