Friday, May 07, 2010

Maybe it's not completely unjustified...

A few years ago, I was introduced to a television show called "Firefly". I loved it wholesale. It was a space western, with an incredible cast and a great story and it was more or less my introduction to Joss Whedon. In edition to creating Firefly, Buffy, Angel and Dollhouse, Joss Whedon also wrote a run of Astonishing X-men that came out around the time I was getting into Firefly. I picked up the first two trades and kind of hated them. I hated them so much that I thought that my love for "Firefly" might have been undeserved, that "Firefly" might actually suck and I was just remembering it to be good (like most things I liked when I was a child and Kevin Smith movies). So I spent a year or so thinking that I might not actually like "Firefly", but when I watched it all again last summer I realized it was legitimately good. This led me to think that I might've been too hard on Whedon's X-men run, so I gave it another try and borrowed the two books of his run I hadn't read from Mason. They were still terrible.

Whedon's X-men is terrible for a lot of reason, but the thing that bothered me the most about it was how he would end scenes. Almost every scene in the book was ended right before some sort of big reveal or a character getting shot or something that is supposed to be suspenseful, but really just comes off as annoying (Dan Brown employs this technique, or at least he did in the first 45 or so pages of Angels and Demons, which is about as far as I got in the book when I realized that it was not going to get better). Also I didn't like how he wrote Kitty Pryde. Which is weird because I've never read any X-men books with Kitty Pryde, ever. I have no affinity for the character whatsoever, and yet, I felt that the words coming out of her mouth were an insult to her character. So those things and the almost Pirates of the Caribbean levels of backstabbing and deal making were a little much.

So I think Firefly might be the only Whedon property that doesn't annoy me, which is a shame because he's doing the Avenger's movie, and I really like the Avengers and I think he's going to screw them up.

1 comment:

Pete said...

It seems you're basing your entire opinion of Whedon on 2 projects. I declare this to be lame.