Tuesday, May 04, 2010

I hope they aren't becoming a thing

There is a band called Avi Buffalo. They are sort of unpleasant to listen to. I think they might be becoming indie music darlings. I do not dig them.

As much as I hate to admit it, I am a hispter... sort of. I certainly love irony and "indie" music enough, but there are certain things that hispters are supposed to like that I don't much care for. Musically, the list would include Radiohead (which I think non-hipsters are supposed to like too), Bon Iver, Phoenix, and all "good rap". I think my taste in movies might exclude me from hipster status, (although I think the hipster do's and don'ts of film are a bit more nebulous than their musical requirements) and if that doesn't my dislike of coffee, tea and alcohol of any kind certainly would. My most telling quality that might qualify me for hipsterdom is my hatred of hipsters. That is probably a hipster's most defining characteristic. Hipsters can not stand other hipsters. They hate their pretentiousness and their smugness and their aloofness. I might be safe from hipsterdom though, because I think I might just be a misanthrope, and just have a special place in my heart for hating people who think they're better than everyone else.

Whatever label other people ascribe to me, one thing's for sure. I really do not like Avi Buffalo.

No comments: