Friday, August 03, 2007

Hello, hello.

The first paragraph is about work

Well the first of the month is over at CMS, pretty much. It usually takes 2 days for the mail to go back to normal and yesterday was the second day. I must say it's been a pretty interesting week so far. It started with Adam getting fired for leaving mail in his van, again. Tuesday was Vicki's last day, and Meredith's last day for that matter, and we've been swimming in handsort ever since. They hired Darrell on Friday, he's doing Adam/my old route, Ricky was doing route 1, Scott's old route (Scott's now doing route 5) but today was his last day so Jay hired some lady named Diane to take over route 1. She won't show up tomorrow. They never do. Girls will not do my job, they are perfectly capable, but they just don't like that kind of work. So tomorrow we'll be short-handed, but I might get to do a route since Diane won't be there. So the worst part of the whole driver swap 2007 is the route 6 and 7 combo that's brining mail that used to arrive at 5:45 and 6:30 respectively, anywhere between 7:30 and 8, which means I'm not even running it till 7:40 at the earliest which means we're not getting done with pass 1 till 8:15 at the earliest. This blows. And it's really frustrating because we can't keep anyone long enough for them to get good at what they do, so we'll never get out early again.


The Second paragraph is probably going to be about Harry Potter, although I'm not really sure, I haven't written it yet.

I finished the first Harry Potter book this morning. It took me about 3.5 hours to read. It is a quick read. There is no mucking about in book 1. Second to last chapter they go through the trap door. The last chapter is the confrontation with Quirrell and the wrap up. It's all business. While rereading the book I was trying to figure out why I liked this book so immediately. I couldn't, but I did notice some things that struck me as odd.
1. In the first chapter Dumbledore call Prof McGonagall, "Professor McGonagall", were they not yet on a first name basis? I wonder if I was confused by the fact that she was called Professor the first time through considering I had no point of reference for her being a professor.
2. How long was baby Harry alone in his ruined house? Hagrid brought him to the Dursley's the night after Voldemorte died. What was the immediate aftermath of James and Lily Potter's death? Did Bathilda take Harry? What was going on?
3. Where did the hats go? No one wears their wizard hats anymore. All the students have hats in the first book. Of course it could be that they are wearing them all the time, Rowling just takes it is as a given when describing a characters appearance that the person is wearing a silly wizard hat.
4. Harry used to be kind of a likeable kid. What the hell happened.
I'm going to try to read the second book tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

The third paragraph is me talking about sleep.

I'm tired. I'm going to sleep.

No comments: