Thursday, August 16, 2007

I thought YOU had class.

I've been going to the REC center this week instead of running for 2 reasons.
1. My MP3 player has stopped functioning in a satisfactory manner.
2. I haven't been getting up till 10, and it's just too f*ing hot to run that late in the morning
The nice thing about the REC center is that I can watch TV while I use their magical exercise machines and today I got to watch some classic first season Arrested Development, hence the title of this post.

Harry Potter talk commences:

I finished book 4 on Sunday, but since I had already posted once on Sunday I decided not to post my analysis that day because I didn't want to overload my audience (myself and perhaps the other Matts). So here are my thoughts on Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire:

It's still a good book. Pretty much everything Barty Jr. does as Moody is justified as either part of Voldemort's scheme or just part of his personality manifesting itself, but I still think he's a better teacher than he has any right to be especially since he's spent the last decade or so in prison of some sort. I'm pretty sure it says he went to Azkaban as a teenager, so being generous he was 19, two years out of Hogwarts (unless he was home schooled, which is possible given his father). Maybe he majored in Secondary ed at Hogwarts, or maybe he was just a gifted educator. As well as being a great educator he is apparently an amazingly talented actor, convincing everyone for the better part of a year that he was Mad Eye would be no easy feat. Also, something Matthew brought up was the Barty's polyjuice supply, once he got to Hogwarts, it wouldn't have been that hard to keep making more polyjuice potion, but where did Barty get his first month's supply? Doesn't it take a month or two to make it? Wouldn't he need a shitload of it? I suppose Peter could have made it but was there enough time? The Quidditch World Cup is a couple of days before the first day of school, it's also the night that Barty breaks free from his dad. So they have like 2 days to set this whole plan in motion. It seems a bit dodgey to me. Also Hermione Granger keeps Rita Skeeter trapped in a jar for at least 2 days. She is a horrible human being. I love Hermione Granger.
Anyway the movie handles the last task and the graveyard scene better than the book does, but other than that the book is far superior to the film. Now that I'm done with book 4 I have finished all of the High School Era Harry Potter books. I read the first through fourth books for the first time during high school, and I'm pretty sure I haven't read them since. Also, now that I'm done with book four, I'm done with Harry Potter being a sympathetic character. I won't like Harry Potter the person again until I get to the 3rd to last chapter of book 7. He's such a dick.

I was toying with the idea of giving the series a rest until the end of the semester, picking it up again when the fifth movie comes out on DVD. I've read part of 5 and all of 6 and 7 within the last couple of months, so I don't know if I'd be able to keep interested in them. Also I suppose I'll need to, you know, do homework and stuff starting in a week or so, so I probably won't have as much time for reading as I do now.

I still need to talk to Anna and Layne about book 7.

End Harry Potter Talk

The Lookout is ok. It doesn't have any kind of twist ending, so don't believe what the DVD box says.

No comments: