Tuesday, June 06, 2006

In the Time of Chimpanzees, I was.

A Monkey.


So Guster is streaming their album for free at Rhapsody.com. I'm glad I listened to it there instead of buying it. Guster really wants to be famous. They want to be Matchbox 20 famous. They want 13 year old girls to mob them when they go to buy laundry detergent, or pick up a couple of shirts at American Eagle. Ganging Up on the Sun is their desperate cry for mainstream attention and it's not very good. Well it might be good, but I don't like it. It's not what I want to hear when I listen to Guster. It's one thing to evolve as musicians, but this album is not a change for the better. This album is a marginalization of a mediocre band that used to have a great sound. I was hoping that under the guidance of Joe, Guster would change into something great but alas greatness is not what's in the cards for the Gusters. Adam is hardly on the album at all. Ryan's lyrics are just getting cheesier and more cliche. There are a couple of brightspots on the album. There are about 5 songs that don't suck on the album. I don't remember all of them, but I'm sure that you will figure it out, if you choose to listen to the album.

Beck is cool.

No comments: